It is hard to believe but the time has come to start revving up again and encourage our local high school seniors to apply for the "Most Valuable Student Scholarship - 2015". Any high school senior that is a U.S. Citizen may apply, and will be judged on scholarship, leadership and financial need. The application is available online beginning September 1, 2014 using the following link: www.elks.org/enf/scholars/mvs.cfm The awards are amazing! The Elks National Foundation awards $2.44 million annually in MVS Scholarships to 500 high school seniors nationwide. The first and second place awards are among the largest scholarships provided by ANY major fraternal or service organization. The awards are as follows:
- First Place - Two Applicants will receive $50,000 each ($12,500 per year)
- Second Place - Two Applicants will receive $40,000 each ($10,000 per year)
- Third Place - Two Applicants will receive $30,000 Jack London Scholarships ($7,500 per year)
- Additionally, there will be 14 awards of $20,000 each ($5,000 per year) and 480 $4,000 awards ($1,000 per year).
Applications are due by December 5th, 2014 and there are absolutely no exceptions to this deadline. Please help to spread the word and hopefully by December 5th we will receive an even a higher number of applicants than last year - which was 92!
LEGACY AWARD Any child, grandchild, step-child, step-grandchild or legal ward of a living Elk who joined the Order on or before April 1, 2012, or a charter member of a Lodge that was instituted on or after April 1, 2012, is eligible to apply for a Legacy Award. I'm sorry but great-grandchildren are ineligible. The sponsoring Elk must be a dues-paying member through March 31, 2015. The applicant must be a high school senior or equivalent. If the applicant's parent and grandparent are both Elk Members, the applicant should apply through the parent's lodge. The Legacy Award is a $4,000 scholarship! The Elks National Foundation offers up to 250 awards. Applicants are judged on the core values of the Foundation: Knowledge, Charity, Community and Integrity. Applications for Legacy Awards must be submitted online by 12 pm Central Time on January 30, 2015. Although this date seems far off right now, trust me, it will be here before you know it, so please encourage your family's high school seniors or equivalents to apply!
EMERGENCY EDUCATIONAL GRANT PROGRAM This program provides financial assistance to children of deceased or totally disabled Elks, who wish to obtain or further their college education (grandchildren and great-grandchildren do not qualify). Grant amounts are based on the information submitted in the application and can be as high as $4,000. It is a one year grant; however, an applicant may submit up to three annual renewal applications for succeeding years as long as all other eligibility requirements are met. They are:
- The Elk parent or step-parent must have been a member in good standing for at least one year at the time of his or her death OR the Elk parent or step-parent must have been a member in good standing at least one year before the date of becoming totally disabled and must continue to be an Elk in good standing when the application is submitted.
- Financial need must be demonstrated to qualify
- Applicant must be single, under the age of 23 as of December 31, 2014, and attending an accredited U.S. Institution of higher learning as a full-time student, at least 12 semester hours, with a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0.
- Applications for this program must be postmarked no later than December 31, 2014.
For more information contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org